When is the best time to visit Himalayaheliski ?
Himalayaheliski operates every fine day from end of January to the second week of April.
Conditions are colder with more powder days through February and March. Expect spring conditions and corn snow after late March.
Do I need powder skis?
You do not need to have powder skis, but they will assist you to ski even better. The new wide body powder skis or all mountain skis and are great for all abilities. They allow you to ski a wide range of snow conditions, faster, easier and with more stability.
You don’t have to bring your own powder skis. Himachal has a selection of the latest Volkl skis 100eight. Our skis are available for our guests at no charge. Boots are not available at Manali, so you must bring your own pair.
What do I need to bring?
- You will need to bring your ski boots or complete snowboard equipment (no boards are available at HHA).
- Your ski clothing should keep you comfortable at temperatures between –20º C (–4º F) and +5º C (41ºF).
- In addition to your ski clothes, we recommend to bring waterproof walking boots or shoes, waterproof jacket and pants, thermal underwear, warm clothes and sweaters, gloves, warm socks, scarf or neck gaiters, sunglasses or goggles, warm cap or hat and sunscreen.
- Don’t forget your camera. There will be many memorable experiences for you to capture.
What about safety equipment?
Himalayaheliski provides all guests with avalanche transceivers and -bags. Before you start your heli-ski adventure, a safety briefing is given covering avalanche transceivers, helicopter and mountain safety and the use of avalanche bags. Only then you fly off to the first heli-ski run.
How long are the runs?
At Himalayaheliski you ski on what truly is the roof of the world. Some of our most spectacular terrain is as high as 5000 meters. However, most skiing takes place between high valley floors around 2700 meters and ridges at 4700 meters, with verticals averaging between 900 meters and 1200 meters. Run length varies depending on the terrain and snow conditions.
How many skiers make a group?
Group size is limited to a maximum of 4 guests per guide. You will be grouped according to your ability.
When should I plan to arrive in New Delhi, India?
Your travel plans MUST have you arriving in New Delhi no later than midnight Friday night / 1 am on Saturday morning.
When can I safely depart from India?
Your travel plans MUST have you departing from New Delhi preferably after midnight the following Saturday night / Sunday morning.
Will I be met at the airport on arrival?
- Upon your arrival at Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi, you will be met by our representative after passing through immigration and customs. He will be standing in the arrival hall next to door 5 with a signboard bearing the Himalayaheliski logo.
- The domestic check-in baggage weight limit on this flight is 15kg plus 7kg hand-luggage, due to the size of the aircraft.
- Because of this limit we have arranged overland transport for all baggage over 15kg.
- Please bring two bags with you so you can handover excess luggage and skibags after your arrival for the road transport.
- This transport will arrive in Manali Saturday evening.
Convenient hotels in Delhi ?
Please book your hotel in Delhi on your own and early enough. We strongly recommend booking a hotel at Aerocity. It is just a short drive from the airport to the hotels and thus ensures very short transfers back to the terminals. Please inform us which hotel you have booked.
Do I need a visa to travel to India?
Yes, you do.
Do not delay applying for your Indian visa. Indian embassies / consulates can take their time to process visas. Citizens of some countries can apply for an e-tourist visa online.
For a list of eligible countries whose citizens can apply and access the online e-tourist visa form please visit: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html
Do I need a trip cancellation insurance cover?
Make sure you have a trip cancellation insurance and take note of our cancellation policy. For your own protection, Himalayaheliski strongly insists on purchasing a trip cancellation and repatriation insurance as soon as you complete your booking with us. For cancellation insurances, please check with your travel agent when making your international travel arrangements. IHI (www.ihi.com) is one provider that covers heli-skiing.
Do I need to bring any cash along?
It is a good idea to always keep some Indian money with you. While credit cards are accepted in many shops and restaurants, rupees are necessary for smaller shops, public transport and incidental expenses.
All major credit-cards are accepted except AMEXCO.
Are satellite phones allowed to be used in India?
Use of any kind of satellite telephone in India without a prior license from Department of Telecommunications (DOT-Government of India) is illegal and attracts penal provisions. It will also result in seizure of your device.
Can Himalayaheliski help organise tours, sightseeing and additional travel arrangements?
Many guests like to come to Delhi a day or two before their onward journey to Manali. This allows time to relax after the flight and an opportunity for sightseeing. Himalayaheliski can help organize sightseeing tours in Delhi, Agra or elsewhere on prior notice.